We would like to discover the possibilities of the Collectionviewer without using a flash development environment, but by editing the xml,cml, gml and css files. I have installed Adobe Air, OpenExhibits2.Air, and unpacked the collectionviewer.
Now I have a few questions:
1. What can we expect, what are the limitations (when we don't program)? For example, if we want to show 50 photo's and their 'metadata', is there a way to arrange them logically, or are they randomly spread over the screen?
2. If i open ...module_collectionviewerflashbinFlashWeb.html on a machine with Windows7 and a non-touchscreen monitor, i cannot move any window. Why does the multitouch simulator not work?
3. On a multitouch monitor (resolution 1920x1080), the application is interactive, content windows can be dragged. But their initial position is always somewhere in the bottom-right corner, and sometimes even out of view! Also, only the upper-left part the background-image is visible in the bottom-right corner of the screen. So, it seems that not the whole working area is visible. I tried to change some coördinates and sizes in the cml-file, but that does not help. How to solve this?
I can answer at least one of your questions here. Let me start by saying the Collection Viewer is a work in progress and we have begun on the next generation of the Collection Viewer, that will have a lot more capabilities than the current one.
He are some of the early designs that we posted a few months back.
As far as your first question, right now images are randomly displayed. In future versions as you can see from the blog post, we will add ways to sort and search collections. As far as the other two questions, I'm not sure. I will ask some of the developers to look into it. Do you have the latest version of the SDK? A new one was posted just last week.
Another question on the Collection Viewer: I have to use danish letters like æ ø å and they wont show up in the flash file. There is a Font library file and I thought I might need to make a new one that has these special characters included, but I cant make it work... - What can I do?
1. There are of course limitations for non-programmers, but our goals is make the system accessible to non-programmers through markup languages. Currently we have two layouts you can use. The first is an NxN grid. The other is a a random layout. You can also write the position of each object directly.
2. The multi-touch simulator is currently broken. I'm am working to resolve the issue.
3. To which application you are referring?
I cannot upload files through the forum, so if you contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org then I can send you some more advanced collection viewer examples.
You'll have to embed the font that supports those characters. Once they are embed you can access them within the OE framework. Please see documentation on the best way to embed fonts within your IDE of choice.
You might be interested to know that we add a quick guide to editing CML to the Image Viewer. Editing CML allows non-programmers to change the contents and parameters of some the applications just through editing the CML (which are XML files). There is a new PDF that is part of the Image Viewer download.
It's a start. Much more to come.